Hi there, you must have read some posts relating to the compound sentence on this learning platform. However, I want to discuss with you Compound Sentence Using Yet with Examples. A compound sentence has two main clauses which are usually joined by a coordinating conjunction. See Coordination and Subordination; What is a Compound Sentence?) In some instances, the three coordinating conjunctions are sometimes replaced with the conjunction ‘yet’.
The Conjunction ‘Yet’
Yet belongs to two Parts of Speech: the adverb and the conjunction. As a conjunction, it means ‘however at the same time’; ‘in spite of that’ and ‘nevertheless’ as in:
- Emma wished he would be less pointed, yet could not help being amused
Scholars have referred to ‘yet’ as a ‘marginal conjunction’. It is however different from the three coordinating conjunctions: and, but, or.
Compound Sentences with Yet
Below are examples of compound sentences with yet as the conjunction that joins the two main clauses together:
- The President has somebody like me yet he is not talking with me.
- There is problem everywhere yet nobody can admit it.
- He suffers from heartburn yet he hardly drinks water after his meals.
- The striking workers have resumed yet the government has not paid their salaries.
- He had examination the next day yet he watched movies through the night.
- The man had no means of paying back yet he kept borrowing money around.
- He had begun dreaming of owning a car; he had not even learned to drive.
- She kept complaining about her husband yet she was not doing anything to assist.
- The teachers discouraged the student yet he kept seeking for foreign admission.
- He practically sleeps in the library yet he could pass English language.
- The lady has a hole in her teeth yet she cannot stop eating chocolate.
- The government claims to be working yet the masses are bitterly complaining of poverty.
- He made a lot of money from the deal yet he did not change his standard of living.
- Her mother threatened to beat her yet she did not bat an eyelid.
- The church spent the whole day praying for Peter yet they did not believe Rhoda’s report.
More Compound Sentences with Yet
- The player performed well in his club yet he did not get invitation for national assignment.
- The elders advised him not to contest for the elections yet he kept raising funds.
- Oaks Club made so much money yet the coach refused to buy new players.
- He kept buying electronic gadgets yet he made no plans to invest.
- The hotel kept spending on adverts yet they refused to overhaul their facilities.
- He wanted to be doctor yet he could not stand the sight of blood.
- Many politicians swore to uphold the constitution yet they could not resist official impunity.
- Simple Sentence in English (with Definition and Examples)
- Complex Sentence – Definition, Structure and Examples
- 100 Examples of Compound Sentences in English
- 25 Examples of Complex Sentences in English
- 50 Examples of Simple Sentences in English
- Types of Sentences According to Structure with Examples