Welcome to Akademia! It is very encouraging to see that you keenly follow all my posts. What do I have for you? I title it (What is a Compound Sentence? Definition and Examples). I have a comprehensive posts on Types of Sentences According to Structure, but I am focusing on each of these sentences for proper understanding; hence this post. You can also see the post on the Simple Sentence and read also on Complex Sentence. You may wish to also see Sentence Types Based on Function. Let us get into Compound Sentence…
What is a Compound Sentence? Definition and Examples
We shall begin this discussion by looking first at the Compound Sentence; the definition or meaning, then we shall consider compound sentence examples. Here we go:
Compound Sentence Definition
What is a Compound Sentence? A compound sentence is a sentence that has two main, alpha or independent clauses with no subordinate or dependent clause. There are two clauses that make up a Compound Sentence and the two clauses are main clauses; that is, they can stand on their own. I hope you know the difference between a clause and a phrase. See Types of Clauses and Groups in English for clarity between the two.
Furthermore, in the discussion on Compound Sentence, you need to know that the two clauses that make up the Compound Sentence are usually joined by the coordinating conjunction (See Subordination and Coordination). You can also check out the post on Conjunctions. These coordinating conjunctions are three (3) in number and they are: ‘and’, ‘but’, ‘or’.
They join items of equal grammatical weight or status. However, it is still possible to have a compound sentence without the presence of any of these three coordinators. How is that possible? Check out Syndetic and Asyndetic Coordinators. In addition, the two clauses that make up the Compound Sentence can be separated by a semicolon; (See Compound Sentence with Semicolon Examples).
There are also Compound Sentences that have the presence of the marginal coordinator ‘yet’. I have dedicated a post to that (See Compound Sentence with Yet).
Compound Sentence Examples
There are many sentences that exemplify the Compound Sentence examples and I have put them under various classifications. Let us some of them:
5 Examples of Compound Sentences
- God is gracious kind, generous and merciful but He detests wickedness, injustice and oppression.
- Dangerous emotive issues can ignite uncontrollable passion and destabilise our dear country.
- It is profitable to reflect and desist from taking a perishable journey in life.
- The test of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised and everyone should imbibe this maxim.
- There was evidence of cover-up and non-prosecution of fraud of fake security report but nobody did anything about it.
10 Examples of Compound Sentences
- Prosecutors provided the judge with a summary of contacts and they were made from February to April.
- It is not clear exactly how they learned of the communications, but the witnesses provided the prosecutors with copies of the messages in recent weeks.
- Manafort laundered more than $18 million and spent the money on fine suits, real estate and expensive rugs.
- The charges are not directly related to Mr. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, and Mr. Manafort’s allies have said the case is intended to pressure him.
- Manafort awaits trial but he has nothing incriminating to provide.
- Gates has since cut a plea deal and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.
- In the next few months, there will be no money to pay salaries and the vicious effect will be disastrous.
- The people urged the president to sit up and stop going after the leadership of the Senate.
- He may have his problems but previous handlers squandered the resources with impunity and corruption.
- He was playing on the intelligence of the masses but forgot to revamp the economy.
100 Examples of Compound Sentences
I have a special post dedicated to these where you can literally harvest 100 Examples of Compound Sentences. Do check it out.
Other Related Posts